Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lincoln's birthday




Now that Chasie is a big kindergartner, he is learning about all the holidays. In February, when he came home with his cute "Lincoln hat" and we talked about celebrating President Lincoln's
birthday he kept telling me, "Mom, I'm afraid you're going to forget Lincoln's birthday" to which I responded, "honey, I'm not going to forget, you will all be home from school-trust me, I won't forget" but he said that two or three times. So, it finally dawned on me that he had a preconceived idea about how Lincoln's birthday should be celebrated so I asked him, "Chasie what do you think we should do on Lincoln's birthday?" He said, "we should have cake and ballooons and decorations and candy etc." I finally said, "How about we make a cake and have McKay (Mr. History) tell us what he knows about Lincoln?" Chase said," well Mom, I know about Lincoln too" I told him that was great, that he could tell us what he knew too and that it could be our FHE.
So, come Monday when we celebrated Lincoln's birthday-we went to a movie as a family, (I think we saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop-McKay loved it) then we had dinner and Chase and McKay told us what they knew about Lincoln, then Maren had a game planned out which we hid her 4th of July beanie baby and did "hot and cold" (she is a clever one with planning games, let me tell you) and we ate cake and sung "Happy Birthday" I think we even put a candle in it. It was great fun and he was thrilled.
Yesterday he asked me, "so, how do we celebrate April Fool's day?" I said, "we don't"!

1 comment:

b.liz said...

HAHA! I can only imagine all the crazy April Fool's tricks your kids try to pull. I hope everyone came out unscathed this year.

What a great Lincoln b-day idea: learn some US history (which I desperately need!) and eating cake (which I desperately LOVE!). Maybe I'll have to join you next year.