Saturday, April 4, 2009

Steve's mom

On Thursday we received the news that Steve's mom, Sarah Hammarstrom, passed away rather unexpectedly. People say she has been sick for awhile and has had her health problems etc. I don't care how long she has been sick, when it is your mother-it is unexpected!

I have thought about her and the great legacy she has left. She raised 7 wonderful children, 6 normal, loud, rambunctious boys and one tough girl to deal with all those brothers. She had them pretty close together, she delivered her 5th when her oldest started kindergarten. She loves her children. The term, "mama bear" comes to mind because she was very protective of them. She gave a lot of service and her children do it naturally because of her example.

I look at my children and see Sarah in them. Kaitlyn is creative like she was, Hollie likes to plan parties and social things like she did, McKay loves history and geneology like she did, Maren Marie, she has Sarah's middle name. Chase is built like a Hammarstrom-tall and skinny-that is what she would say. She LOVED, LOVED being a grandma.

This morning I told Maren something like, "well, that is because Dad is great" (I can't even remember what we were talking about but there really isn't a reason, "Dad is great" fits about everything). Maren said, "he got that from Grandma Hammarstrom". Thanks Sarah for raising such a great son, husband and father!

4 comments:

April said...

Oh, 'Leste, I'm so sorry. She was certainly a strong spirited woman and very good to me. Tell Steve he's a great example of her and how sorry I am.

b.liz said...

What a wonderful tribute, Celeste.

Kelsey Marie said...

I heard about her passing from Hollie. I'm so sorry and you're in my prayers. She sounds like she was a really wonderful lady and it was a great description and tribute to her.

Unknown said...

Celeste:

I enjoyed reading this. And I will show the kids pictures. Also, email me your address-wanted to send the hockey video of Jacob to you, but must have an old email for you.

Karen