Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ok, I take the previous post back!

You know how I wrote that I would like to "freeze" my kids in time and keep them that way for awhile? Well, I meant I would like to freeze them that way 3 years ago!!!!! It has been quite a weekend!
Hollie made cheerleading squad (yeah Hollie!) She couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her hang out with a bunch of would be seniors that night. Gee, Hollie, I wonder why? I told her that Seniors think it is funny to get freshmen drunk and she said, "they are good girls mom, they wouldn't do that" So, she can judge character by spending 1 hour a day with these girls for the past 4 days-I don't THINK so!
McKay spent the night at a friend's house on Friday who is also into Star Wars and Legos like he is and he wanted to know if he could play a game that is rated "Teen" when he KNOWS our family rule is no. I asked, "so McKay, you are asking me to play a game that is rated "teen" when you know our family rule is no? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! I am mad he even asked me!
Then, here is the clencher, Kaitlyn got asked on a date-a real date! A boy who I think she is interested in but if I bring it up, she blushes ALL over-seriously. I came home yesterday and he was watching Twilight with her and two of her friends. She invited him. I told her last night, "OK, Kaitlyn that is fine if you like him (she is blushing and saying, "MOM") but you have made your move and don't do anything now. another "MOM"! I said, "If you do anymore, you are going to look too forward, too eager and like (a girl from our ward who is very aggressive) and she said, "OOOHHHHH, I get it". BUT, this boy calls her and asks her out to the movies and she says "YES!" She told Hollie, and Hollie said, "Kaitlyn, that is a date!" So, Hollie thinks she can solve it by going with them. I get home and say, "NO, that is a date with a sister along and that doesn't work until after you are 16!" We thought maybe we could get a group to go but then Steve said that they would still pair off and we didn't feel good about it. So, we had to call our sweet Kaitlyn in and tell her that she had to call him back and tell him that she couldn't go because she isn't 16 yet. Oh the tears! I just held her and reminded her where the rule comes from (the prophet and Heavenly Father) and why He has it (because he loves you and wants to protect you and studies say that kids who date before they are 16 get into trouble). We decided that we could have a game night so she could invite him along with other kids to it. And this is supposed to happen AFTER the Young Women's broadcast.

Steve and I decided that for FHE, we are going to have role playing such as, "what do you say when a boy your really like calls you and asks you out on a date but you aren't 16 yet?"

Let's see in a fear if I still want to freeze them in time and let them stay that way a little longer!!!!!!

1 comment:

b.liz said...

Oh, wow. I cannot imagine. That makes my parenting challenges seem really, really tiny! I'm going to be calling you in a few years to figure out what to do with my kids' teenage drama.

Your kids may not appreciate it now, but you are so inspired and such a consistent, loving mom.