Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why do I judge?????

Have you ever judged someone and then found out what is going on with their life and feel like such a scumbag after that happens????
I did that this last week at swimming lessons. There is a mother there who is made up to a T and she has a 3 year old that still has a binkie with a princess crown on it. Her older son is in the same class with Chase. He goes to the private Christian school here which caused me to judge her even more. She arrived the first day late and kind of breezed in mouthing her apologies etc. Her son's name sounds like one of those fancy made up names like Brogan or something.

Well, two days ago she struck up a conversation with me as her daughter was looking into my purse. It turns out that her son was diagnosed with Luekemia when he was 3 and she was 9 months pregnant with her daughter. The first year of that baby's life was spent at the Ronald McDonald house at Stanford as their son fought for his life. He just finished kindergarten and is considered in remission but every month they need to drive to Standford to run tests to see if he is "clear". That is why she was late the first day of class. If he remains cancer free for 10 years than he has beaten cancer. But now they have to watch to see what the radiation, chemo and steriods have affected him.

So, as she was wiping of the daughter's binkie who is now 3, she said, "I know she is too old for this, but I am just trying to survive, it is just easier." I felt like a heal and needed to eat a big helping of humble pie!

3 comments:

alison said...

My child is almost four and still has her binkie. I just went to the dentist, he said it's no biggie until she starts losing her teeth. I am hoping she'll lose it by then!

Kelsey Marie said...

I know that feeling. Its hard not to judge people-it seems to just come out naturally. But it doesnt make us bad people--just makes us humnan! :) BTW-yes our air conditioning is still broke :( but we went to the Browns house today and went swimming for a while. Sorry we didnt call! :( We'll have to do something soon tho! Hopefully I'll see you at Pilates in the morning! <3

Ally said...

I am glad that you were able to talk to her. I bet she really needs you. YOu spice things up (saucey!!!) and who doesnt need some of you?!? i sure miss it. missionary oppurtunity!!