Thursday, September 3, 2009

What happens when you start a job...

that you don't love? I am on my second week training working for Central Valley Autism Project (CVAP). It is a great organization that uses Dr. Lovaas' ABA program and it has been written about and is thought very highly of and I was really excited to work there but I don't LOVE it.
Am I expecting too much? Should you LOVE the job you are in? On Monday, I was working with a child that is young and fairly new to the program and I spent the whole morning on the bathroom floor because we are potty training him and trying to do the program with him (make eye contact, give me a high five, sustain 15 seconds of looking at something) and I am sorry, but I don't want to spend a morning on the bathroom floor with another child-totally would and HAVE with my own-but not too thrilled with it. But someone needs to do it and I know that they will and can progress!
Maybe I should have had a clue when they talked about arm guards for biting, and head butting etc on my first day. I keep wondering if I need to just stick with it and maybe I would enjoy it more. I also think I can't just quit-I mean, I just don't quit-that just isn't me-especially only after 2 weeks.
On the positive side, I have started tutoring two students for dyslexia and LOVE that!!! SO, excited how this will change their lives. I would love to get more students and do more of that. I would REALLY love to tap into the home schooled kids so I can do it during the day when my kids are at school. (would that make me a hypocrite because I don't homeschool my kids?)

So, ideally, I want to get more dyslexic student to tutor and go and get my masters. So, I guess I better figure out how to do that.
AND move with all this going on-yes we are moving on Saturday-ugh!!!!

2 comments:

buffymom 3 said...

Go after what you love!! You've worked too hard to get this far. Enjoy what you do everyday as your payoff.

b.liz said...

You moved already?! I need to call you and catch up...and to hear more about this crazy job you have too. I missed seeing you the other night, but now I know why - you are SO BUSY!

Hugs!